“The name of the game if you’re in real estate, insurance, financial planning, and other similar industries is expanding your reach and growing your business.” — Lynne Kelleher, Licensed Real Estate Agent with Berkshire Hathaway, Fox & Roach Realtors in Bucks County, PA.
A great way to do this is through a Giving Circle. It’s a simple way for people to come together, network, give back, and do good. It’s also a great way for you to stay top of mind with hundreds of people in your community. Hear from Lynne on how she built a group of 235 women who give thousands of dollars to charity each quarter and how it helped her business!
Does Lynne have you convinced? Are you ready to start a Giving Circle? Here’s how you can jump in and get started. You’ll only need to commit a few hours each quarter for the potential to connect with hundreds of clients and make an impact in your community.
- Get your core group together: Get together a few folks who can be a part of your core group. They’ll help you expand your reach, make decisions, and guide your group.
- Set your Giving Circle structure: One of the most popular structures is having members commit $100 each quarter. We highly recommend this model, but feel free to switch it up to something that might work better for your community. Some groups ask for $150 and some $50. Some groups decide to meet monthly and some just two-three times a year. Once a member has donated, members can start submitting nominations for local community nonprofits for the group to consider supporting. Three will ultimately be pulled out of a hat to present at the meeting.
- Commit to your meeting date: Once you’ve confirmed your structure, get your meeting date on the calendar. Many groups pick a weekday at night. Groups try to stick closely to a one hour meeting! At the meeting, the three members whose nonprofits were selected will give a five minute pitch for their nonprofit. They’ll then have five minute to answer questions. At the end of the meeting all members who have made their donation will get to vote for one final recipient. That’s it!
- Set your Grapevine page: This is the easiest part. Your page will help you collect your donations, communicate with members, and more. It takes just a few minutes and there is no need for you to have a nonprofit status, bank account, or anything else. Set up your Grapevine page by heading to Grapevine.org. You can also check out a demo video of how the Giving Circle works right here. If you need any assistance, you can also reach out to us directly at email@example.com.
- Invite your clients and community: Now that you’ve got everything set up. Start inviting your community. This is your opportunity to network, make connections, and help a big group of people do good for your community.
- Host your meeting: With your donations collecting, meeting structure set, you’re ready to host your first meeting! If you’re hosting your meeting virtually, Grapevine can set up a Zoom meeting for you and help you manage the meeting. Just reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
Learn more about Lynne’s group on Grapevine right here.
You can also connect with Lynne on Facebook here.